CLEAR Carpet Recycling accepts all recyclable carpet. Our goal is to prevent as much usable carpet from ending in landfills. The biggest hurdle we face is obtaining a constant, steady stream of inbound carpet for our recovery crews and machines to process.
While there are limitations to recycling commercial carpet, residential carpet is completely recyclable and accepted willingly by CLEAR.
CARPET TYPES ACCEPTED
Carpets must meet the requirements below to be accepted for recycling.
A. Collection sites will accept post-consumer broadloom carpet or carpet tiles.
- No carpet cushion, padding, hard surface flooring, etc.
- No carpet with rubberized backing.
B. Carpet must be free of trash and debris (e.g. no tack strips, cutting blades, sharps, trash).
C. Carpet must be dry.
D. Carpets rolled, with fiber side out, cut in 6 foot widths, will be ideal for stacking.
E. Carpet cannot be contaminated with:
- Body Fluids
- Chemical or pharmaceutical contaminants
DISPOSAL OF CARPET INTO TRUCK TRAILERS
A. Notify the collection site personnel before discarding any carpet in any trailers.
- The collection site personnel may keep the trailers locked and/or supervised.
B. Place post-consumer carpet in trailers designated by collection sites for postconsumer carpet.
- Trailers: Fully enclosed, front (end) loading
C. Place only post-consumer broadloom carpet or carpet tiles in trailers.
- Use effective packing techniques to maximize amount of material in containers, such as stacking back to front, balancing the load, and loading to the ceiling.
- Stack carpet tiles neatly or pack in cardboard boxes prior to placing in container.
- Comply with applicable codes, ordinances, rules, and regulations for weight limits.